The conference features inspiring talks by clinicians skilled in nutritional medicine and tastings of healthy and delicious foods that complement the health and nutrition themes of the conference.
To provide health practitioners with an understanding of the central role of nutrition in health and healing. To provide a scientific basis for the integration of nutrition and medicine in order to practice preventive and therapeutic nutritional medicine.
The conference format includes lectures with question-and-answer periods, panel discussions, and a variety of concurrent sessions. There are two major types of concurrent sessions: those that address the nutritional needs of particular types of patients, designated by age, gender, or condition, and those that discuss the health benefits or drawbacks of particular types of foods or nutrients.
What would a nutrition conference be without great food?
Exceptional meals and breaks are included in the registration fee. Everything served will be designed for participants to experience and taste a unique selection of organic and healthy foods that complement the health and nutrition themes of the conference. Delicious recipes featured at the conference and provided by Dr. Weil and his personal chef will be made available on the website following the conference.
For CME questions, contact:CMEsolutions and Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
Our goal is to provide health practitioners with an understanding of the central role of nutrition in health and healing. To provide a scientific basis for the integration of nutrition and medicine in order to practice preventive and therapeutic nutritional medicine.
Why you should attend
Your patients increasingly call on your advice for diet and nutrition to promote good health and treat specific conditions. Proper diet is a fundamental building block to good health, yet many practitioners lack the basic expertise in nutrition to recommend dietary strategies to their patients.
To meet this growing need, this course will provide you with essential information on:
- Practical strategies for incorporating nutrition into your clinical practice
- Using diet to prevent illness
- Nutritional recommendations for management of specific conditions
- Tools to evaluate the latest nutrition research findings
- Social and political aspects of diet and health
The conference provides an overview and practical summary of the latest information on nutrition and health presented by leaders in scientific research, clinicians skilled in nutritional medicine, experts on food and agricultural policy, and innovative chefs.
What you will learn
Upon conclusion of this course, you will be able to:
- Incorporate nutritional information into clinical practice and advise patients about eating for optimum health as well as using dietary change as a therapeutic intervention
- Evaluate the benefits and risks of nutritional recommendations for specific health conditions through an analysis of the existing scientific and clinical evidence
- Identify the health value of specific nutrients and protective phytochemicals and evaluate dietary supplements
- Recognize the emerging science on the impact of the microbiome on health and disease
- Describe current research on nutrition and cardiovascular health
- Analyze the social, political, and behavioral aspects of diet and health, the impact on obesity and diabetes, and implications for patient care
Practice Gap & Needs Assessment
Nutrition is one of the major influences on health and longevity, but physicians and other health professionals are rarely educated in this area. They are often unaware of the latest scientific findings on diet and health and are therefore poorly prepared to advise their patients about designing a diet for optimal well being or using dietary change for management of disease.
This conference will provide an overview of the latest information on nutrition and health, including practical strategies for incorporating nutrition into clinical practice, using diet to prevent illness, nutritional recommendations for management of specific conditions, and tools to evaluate the latest nutrition research findings. The conference is designed for physicians, dietitians, nutritionists, nurses, personal chefs, pharmacists, naturopaths, and other professionals who make nutritional recommendations as part of their professional practices.
The topic and program for this conference were developed by an advisory group based on feedback from participants in the 2004-2010 Nutrition & Health conferences, data collected from clinicians who have taken part in Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine nutrition modules, literature fostering effective nutrition counseling by practitioners, and documentation of increased demand for nutrition education for health care professionals, as clearly demonstrated by the overwhelming success of previous ten conferences.